Looking for some direction
Patrick Mahan
2016-12-03 22:35:22 UTC
All,

I am buying an arduino board to do some hobbyist stuff in robotics and other
real-time control (sound, audio, etc). I see that there are multiple arduino
ports in the ports tree, but I don't see a mailing list for arduino directly and
what I have seen via google-fu seems to be a few years out of date.

Is there a group of tinkers inside the FreeBSD community who are currently
playing with the latest arduino platforms?

Thanks,

Patrick
Polytropon
2016-12-04 06:23:07 UTC
Post by Patrick Mahan
Is there a group of tinkers inside the FreeBSD community who are currently
playing with the latest arduino platforms?
Would freebsd-embedded@ ("Dedicated and Embedded Systems") be
a suitable list? Check the mailing list purpose overview here:

Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0
Andra moi ennepe, Mousa, ...
Patrick Mahan
2016-12-05 02:24:44 UTC
Post by Polytropon
Post by Patrick Mahan
Is there a group of tinkers inside the FreeBSD community who are currently
playing with the latest arduino platforms?
Yes, I thought about that list but it seems more oriented to running FBSD on an
embedded system, and not about supporting other embedded platform SDKs.

However, I might as well posted over to it and see what shakes out.

Thanks,

Patrick
Erich Dollansky
2016-12-04 13:53:27 UTC
Hi,

if there is an ARM CPU inside, check the ARM mailing list out.

Erich

Warren Block
2016-12-04 14:51:07 UTC
Post by Patrick Mahan
All,
I am buying an arduino board to do some hobbyist stuff in robotics and other
real-time control (sound, audio, etc). I see that there are multiple arduino
ports in the ports tree, but I don't see a mailing list for arduino directly and
what I have seen via google-fu seems to be a few years out of date.
Is there a group of tinkers inside the FreeBSD community who are currently
playing with the latest arduino platforms?
Define "latest" :)

Unfortunately, the FreeBSD Arduino ports are only for the Atmel
microcontrollers. Other processors like ARM and the ESP8266 need both a
newer version of the Arduino port and the associated toolchain.

That said, the ATmega microcontrollers are pretty capable, and the
Arduino IDE is the same across platforms. It's inexpensive to try it
out.
Patrick Mahan
2016-12-05 02:44:42 UTC
Post by Warren Block
Post by Patrick Mahan
All,
I am buying an arduino board to do some hobbyist stuff in robotics and other
real-time control (sound, audio, etc). I see that there are multiple arduino
ports in the ports tree, but I don't see a mailing list for arduino directly and
what I have seen via google-fu seems to be a few years out of date.
Is there a group of tinkers inside the FreeBSD community who are currently
playing with the latest arduino platforms?
Define "latest" :)
Well, I've got the what is labeled arduino-1.6.13-linux64.tar.xz and
arduino-1.6.13-macosx.zip. Looking at the Makefile for the ports tree I see
there is a
devel/arduino which seems to be centered on v1.0.6 while devel/arduino16 seems
to be 1.6.12.
Post by Warren Block
Unfortunately, the FreeBSD Arduino ports are only for the Atmel
microcontrollers. Other processors like ARM and the ESP8266 need both a newer
version of the Arduino port and the associated toolchain.
Well, I'm ordering the Arduino 101
(https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoard101) which seems like a good entry
platform for doing both robotics and as a control board for controlling various
lighting items, etc. (this is something I'm working on with my son-in-law who
wants to be a DJ). It uses the Intel Curie architecture and has 14 Digital I/O
pins, 4 PWN pins and 6 analog pins plus a accelerometer/gyro. The Curie is a
hyrid 32-bit x86 core and ARC core.
Post by Warren Block
That said, the ATmega microcontrollers are pretty capable, and the Arduino IDE is
the same across platforms. It's inexpensive to try it out.
It is that, $30 for the 101, I'm thinking of buying 4.

Thanks,

Patrick
Warren Block
2016-12-05 15:23:18 UTC
Post by Patrick Mahan
Post by Warren Block
Post by Patrick Mahan
All,
I am buying an arduino board to do some hobbyist stuff in robotics and other
real-time control (sound, audio, etc). I see that there are multiple arduino
ports in the ports tree, but I don't see a mailing list for arduino directly and
what I have seen via google-fu seems to be a few years out of date.
Is there a group of tinkers inside the FreeBSD community who are currently
playing with the latest arduino platforms?
Define "latest" :)
Well, I've got the what is labeled arduino-1.6.13-linux64.tar.xz and
arduino-1.6.13-macosx.zip. Looking at the Makefile for the ports tree I see
there is a
devel/arduino which seems to be centered on v1.0.6 while devel/arduino16 seems
to be 1.6.12.
Well, I meant the hardware. The original Arduinos were all Atmel
microcontrollers. Newer ones can have Atmel, ARM, or other CPUs. The
IDE is the same, but the compiler toolchains needed for the non-Atmel
processors might not be available as ports.
Post by Patrick Mahan
Post by Warren Block
Unfortunately, the FreeBSD Arduino ports are only for the Atmel
microcontrollers. Other processors like ARM and the ESP8266 need both a newer
version of the Arduino port and the associated toolchain.
Well, I'm ordering the Arduino 101
(https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoard101) which seems like a good entry
platform for doing both robotics and as a control board for controlling various
lighting items, etc. (this is something I'm working on with my son-in-law who
wants to be a DJ). It uses the Intel Curie architecture and has 14 Digital I/O
pins, 4 PWN pins and 6 analog pins plus a accelerometer/gyro. The Curie is a
hyrid 32-bit x86 core and ARC core.
I kind of doubt the toolchains for this are available as ports, but
admittedly don't know.
Kyle Evans
2016-12-05 15:42:04 UTC
Post by Warren Block
Post by Patrick Mahan
Well, I've got the what is labeled arduino-1.6.13-linux64.tar.xz and
arduino-1.6.13-macosx.zip. Looking at the Makefile for the ports tree I see
there is a
devel/arduino which seems to be centered on v1.0.6 while devel/arduino16 seems
to be 1.6.12.
Well, I meant the hardware. The original Arduinos were all Atmel
microcontrollers. Newer ones can have Atmel, ARM, or other CPUs. The IDE
is the same, but the compiler toolchains needed for the non-Atmel processors
might not be available as ports.
FWIW: devel/arduino16 does support the Arduino Due (ARM) using
devel/arm-none-eabi-gcc -- I'm still working on figuring out newlib
stuff to get the SAMD chips (Zero/MKR1000) working, but programming
and all that is generally working for them.
Warren Block
Cool! Any hope of ESP8266 support? Thanks!
Kyle Evans
2016-12-06 02:07:40 UTC
Post by Warren Block
Post by Kyle Evans
FWIW: devel/arduino16 does support the Arduino Due (ARM) using
devel/arm-none-eabi-gcc -- I'm still working on figuring out newlib
stuff to get the SAMD chips (Zero/MKR1000) working, but programming
and all that is generally working for them.
Cool! Any hope of ESP8266 support? Thanks!
Sure, their process seems pretty well documented (putting it at [1],
because I'll inevitably lose it and come back to this e-mail for
reference). I don't currently have an ESP8266, though, so all I can
personally verify is compilation and that the interface bits generally
work -- not a whole lot goes wrong there, though.

[1] https://github.com/esp8266/esp8266-wiki/wiki/Toolchain
Warren Block
2016-12-06 04:45:47 UTC
Post by Kyle Evans
Post by Warren Block
Post by Kyle Evans
FWIW: devel/arduino16 does support the Arduino Due (ARM) using
devel/arm-none-eabi-gcc -- I'm still working on figuring out newlib
stuff to get the SAMD chips (Zero/MKR1000) working, but programming
and all that is generally working for them.
Cool! Any hope of ESP8266 support? Thanks!
Sure, their process seems pretty well documented (putting it at [1],
because I'll inevitably lose it and come back to this e-mail for
reference). I don't currently have an ESP8266, though, so all I can
personally verify is compilation and that the interface bits generally
work -- not a whole lot goes wrong there, though.
[1] https://github.com/esp8266/esp8266-wiki/wiki/Toolchain
Actually, I meant having ports of the ESP8266 toolchain so the Arduino
version could be used from FreeBSD. If you are interested in working on
that, I'd be happy to send you a NodeMCU board.
Kyle Evans
2016-12-06 06:34:52 UTC
Post by Warren Block
Post by Kyle Evans
Sure, their process seems pretty well documented (putting it at [1],
because I'll inevitably lose it and come back to this e-mail for
reference). I don't currently have an ESP8266, though, so all I can
personally verify is compilation and that the interface bits generally
work -- not a whole lot goes wrong there, though.
[1] https://github.com/esp8266/esp8266-wiki/wiki/Toolchain
Actually, I meant having ports of the ESP8266 toolchain so the Arduino
version could be used from FreeBSD. If you are interested in working on
that, I'd be happy to send you a NodeMCU board.
Hi,

Yeah, sorry, I should have been more clear. =) It'll be a lot easier
to port the bits that I need because they've got some good
documentation going. Information on the 101's toolchain is more
scattered and not incredibly well documented, so it's looking painful
so far. The GCC bits for the 101 will likely be easy, but flashing
looks pretty non-standard from what I've found.

I might take you up on that offer- it would certainly make testing a lot easier.

Thanks,

Kyle Evans
Ian Smith
2016-12-04 15:45:28 UTC
In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 652, Issue 7, Message: 6
Post by Patrick Mahan
I am buying an arduino board to do some hobbyist stuff in robotics and other
real-time control (sound, audio, etc). I see that there are multiple arduino
ports in the ports tree, but I don't see a mailing list for arduino directly and
what I have seen via google-fu seems to be a few years out of date.
Is there a group of tinkers inside the FreeBSD community who are currently
playing with the latest arduino platforms?
As Polytropon suggested, you might ask in freebsd-***@freebsd.org
where some Atmel-savvy people lurk, though I've not noticed Arduinos
mentioned for some time. Warner (cc'd) will surely be up to date.

Just asking the search box atop www.freebsd.org 'arduino' returns quite
a lot including from forums, but as you say, nothing looks that recent.

I had some really great fun writing a pair of cooperating gadgets with
16MHz ATtiny45s using devel/avra, that never made it as far as silicon,
but wow, nearly 10 years ago .. so ATmega64 is Really Big Iron to me :)

cheers, Ian
Kyle Evans
2016-12-05 15:51:14 UTC
Hi,
Post by Patrick Mahan
All,
I am buying an arduino board to do some hobbyist stuff in robotics and other
real-time control (sound, audio, etc). I see that there are multiple arduino
ports in the ports tree, but I don't see a mailing list for arduino directly and
what I have seen via google-fu seems to be a few years out of date.
Is there a group of tinkers inside the FreeBSD community who are currently
playing with the latest arduino platforms?
Thanks,
Patrick
I'll take a look at adding support to devel/arduino16 for some of the
Intel boards sometime this week and get back to you. It looks like
they use arc-elf32-gcc which we definitely don't have yet, so we'll
see how rough porting this and other stuff (arduino101load?) goes.

Thanks,

Kyle Evans
Patrick Mahan
2016-12-05 16:49:54 UTC
Post by Kyle Evans
Hi,
Post by Patrick Mahan
All,
I am buying an arduino board to do some hobbyist stuff in robotics and other
real-time control (sound, audio, etc). I see that there are multiple arduino
ports in the ports tree, but I don't see a mailing list for arduino directly and
what I have seen via google-fu seems to be a few years out of date.
Is there a group of tinkers inside the FreeBSD community who are currently
playing with the latest arduino platforms?
Thanks,
Patrick
I'll take a look at adding support to devel/arduino16 for some of the
Intel boards sometime this week and get back to you. It looks like
they use arc-elf32-gcc which we definitely don't have yet, so we'll
see how rough porting this and other stuff (arduino101load?) goes.
That would be great. That's part of what I was trying to determine was if I
needed to do my own porting or if it was already done.

Let me know if I can do anything, I ordered the arduino this morning since I do
have a Macbook I can use initially, but would rather be using my FBSD development
box (Multiple displays, much larger than my 15" on the Mac).

Thanks,

Patrick
Bernt Hansson
2016-12-05 19:48:29 UTC
Post by Patrick Mahan
Post by Kyle Evans
Hi,
Post by Patrick Mahan
[...]
Keep in mind that in devel/arduino16 the serial monitor is not working.
Gives lot's of java errors. Send to the board works but not read data
from it.

Arduino:1.6.12 (FreeBSD), Kort:"Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
jssc.SerialNativeInterface.openPort(Ljava/lang/String;Z)J
at jssc.SerialNativeInterface.openPort(Native Method)
at jssc.SerialPort.openPort(Unknown Source)
at processing.app.Serial.<init>(Serial.java:114)
at processing.app.Serial.<init>(Serial.java:66)
at processing.app.SerialMonitor$3.<init>(SerialMonitor.java:93)
at processing.app.SerialMonitor.open(SerialMonitor.java:93)
at processing.app.Editor.handleSerial(Editor.java:2392)
at processing.app.EditorToolbar.mousePressed(EditorToolbar.java:384)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6530)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3324)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4889)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2294)
at
java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4888)
at
java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4522)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4466)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2280)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:758)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)
at
java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:80)
at
java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:90)
at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:731)
at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:729)
at
java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:80)
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105)
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82)
Bernt Hansson
2016-12-05 20:13:14 UTC
Post by Bernt Hansson
Keep in mind that in devel/arduino16 the serial monitor is not working.
Gives lot's of java errors. Send to the board works but not read data from
it.
[...]
Hello!
1.) What ${ARCH} is this?
Atmega328
2.) comms/java-simple-serial-connector is installed, yes?
java-simple-serial-connector-2.8.0 installed.
3.) Can you confirm that /usr/local/arduino/lib does not have a jssc*
lib, and that /usr/local/openjdk8/jre/lib/ext does have
jssc-2.8.0.jar?
No jssc* in the first directory, in /jre/lib/ext I have jssc-2.8.0.jar
I seem to recall there's one other scenario that was buggering this
up- I'll sift through my e-mail and see if I can't find that.
Thanks,
Kyle Evans
Thanks
Bernt Hansson
2016-12-05 21:53:43 UTC
Post by Bernt Hansson
Hello!
1.) What ${ARCH} is this?
Atmega328
Sorry, I should have more specific. =) What is the ARCH of the host system?
Ok. It's amd64
The problem is that the JRE is choosing the wrong JSSC and it's
failing to link the JNI bits. It looks like the other instance of
problem here was due to some remnant of another JSSC laying around.
What do the following look like?
1.) `pkg info -x jdk`
pkg info -x jdk
bootstrap-openjdk-r351880_1
openjdk-7.111.01_1,1
openjdk8-8.112.16
rxtx-openjdk8-2.2p2_2
2.) `find /usr/local/share/linux-jdk* -name 'jssc*'`
find /usr/local/share/linux-jdk* -name 'jssc*'
find: No match.
If you could give me the above, I would appreciate it. =) In worst
Post by Bernt Hansson
pkg delete -x jdk
rm -r /usr/local/share/linux-jdk* (was empty, only some directories left)
pkg install arduino16
I don't have that /usr/local/share/linux-jdk* directory. But i'll try it
out.
Post by Bernt Hansson
Knowing if that works for you as well would also be helpful.
Thanks,
Kyle Evans
Kyle Evans

Kyle Evans
Bernt Hansson
2016-12-06 18:50:58 UTC
Post by Bernt Hansson
pkg delete -x jdk
rm -r /usr/local/share/linux-jdk* (was empty, only some directories left)
pkg install arduino16
I'm reluctant to usepkg delete -x jdk since that will remove a lot of
stuff, like these

Installed packages to be REMOVED:
bootstrap-openjdk-r351880_1
openjdk8-8.112.16
rxtx-openjdk8-2.2p2_2
lucene-3.6.2
hamcrest-1.3
java-simple-serial-connector-2.8.0
apache-openoffice-4.1.3
apache-ant-1.9.7
arduino16-1.6.12_4
junit-4.12
jakarta-commons-lang-2.6
libastylej-arduino-2.05.1
listserialc-1.1.0
jakarta-commons-httpclient-3.1_1
jakarta-commons-codec-1.10
bsh-2.0.b6
jakarta-commons-logging-1.2

Number of packages to be removed: 17

Well the arduino16 just takes 2-4 minutes to compile.

The other stuff takes a bit longer, like OOo, but I can do it if that's
what it takes.
Post by Bernt Hansson
Knowing if that works for you as well would also be helpful.
OK I'll run the bleeding pkg delete -x jdk and reinstall.

I'll let you know the outcome.
Post by Bernt Hansson
Thanks,
Kyle Evans
Bernt Hansson
2016-12-06 19:20:58 UTC
Post by Bernt Hansson
Knowing if that works for you as well would also be helpful.
OK I'll run the bleeding pkg delete -x jdk and reinstall.
I'll let you know the outcome.
And the outcome of the make command is:

===> Patching for arduino16-1.6.12_4
===> Applying FreeBSD patches for arduino16-1.6.12_4
/usr/bin/sed -i.bak -e 's|%%PREFIX%%|/usr/local|'
/usr/ports/devel/arduino16/work/Arduino-1.6.12/build/..//arduino-core/src/processing/app/BaseNoGui.java
/usr/bin/sed -i.bak -e 's:<BINARY_LOCATION>:arduino:' -e
's:<ICON_NAME>:arduino:'
/usr/ports/devel/arduino16/work/Arduino-1.6.12/build/..//build/linux/dist/desktop.template
===> arduino16-1.6.12_4 depends on file: /usr/local/openjdk8/bin/java
- not found
===> openjdk8-8.112.16 is only for amd64 armv6 i386, while you are running
x86_64.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[2]: stopped in /usr/ports/java/openjdk8
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/devel/arduino16
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/devel/arduino16

Machine is FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE-p11 #0: Mon Oct 24 18:49:24 UTC 2016
GENERIC amd64

Building openjdk8 by itself does not give the error: openjdk8-8.112.16
is only for amd64 armv6 i386, while you are running x86_64.

Dmesg:

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor (3013.68-MHz K8-class CPU)
Origin="AuthenticAMD" Id=0x100f62 Family=0x10 Model=0x6 Stepping=2
Features=0x178bfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,S
Features2=0x802009<SSE3,MON,CX16,POPCNT>
AMD
Features=0xee500800<SYSCALL,NX,MMX+,FFXSR,Page1GB,RDTSCP,LM,3DNow!+,3DNow!>
AMD
Features2=0x37ff<LAHF,CMP,SVM,ExtAPIC,CR8,ABM,SSE4A,MAS,Prefetch,OSVW,IBS,SKINIT,WDT>
SVM: NP,NRIP,NAsids=64
TSC: P-state invariant
real memory = 17179869184 (16384 MB)
avail memory = 16590544896 (15821 MB)

If you need more info let me know.

Thank you.
Kyle Evans
2016-12-06 19:25:47 UTC
Post by Bernt Hansson
[...]
Building openjdk8 by itself does not give the error: openjdk8-8.112.16 is
only for amd64 armv6 i386, while you are running x86_64.
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor (3013.68-MHz K8-class CPU)
Origin="AuthenticAMD" Id=0x100f62 Family=0x10 Model=0x6 Stepping=2
Features=0x178bfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,S
Features2=0x802009<SSE3,MON,CX16,POPCNT>
AMD
Features=0xee500800<SYSCALL,NX,MMX+,FFXSR,Page1GB,RDTSCP,LM,3DNow!+,3DNow!>
AMD
Features2=0x37ff<LAHF,CMP,SVM,ExtAPIC,CR8,ABM,SSE4A,MAS,Prefetch,OSVW,IBS,SKINIT,WDT>
SVM: NP,NRIP,NAsids=64
TSC: P-state invariant
real memory = 17179869184 (16384 MB)
avail memory = 16590544896 (15821 MB)
If you need more info let me know.
Thank you.
Ah, sorry, I forgot that hadn't been committed yet. =(
https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=214776 documents the
problem you just ran into -- I've not yet been able to convince anyone
to commit these patches (despite my assertions that the ARCH change
was never needed for building, just naming things and tagging things),
so you'll have to apply them manually for the time being. =(

Kyle Evans